Monday, April 16, 2012

Potatoes and Insects

Well as I toured my garden today I found that all of my potatoes are successfully growing!!!  So much for my unconventional ways.  We got 0.2 inches of rain last night. The weather channel website said that today was a high need to water plants/grass day. NO!  I was okay with the moisture that came last night and today while at the grocery store, it started pouring and it lasted a while.  I haven't checked the rain guage later today, but I'm pretty sure we got another 0.5 in that downpour.  My cereal boxes got pretty wet from car to house.  I'm still grateful for the rain regardless of the inconvenience with groceries.
Someone at the grocery store told me to be careful because there was "black ice" under the rain.  Naturally with my garden success so far, I was concerned, but only a little. People hydroplane when oil from the road floats on top of water at the beginning of a rainstorm and I think that was her problem.  It was 45 degrees F at the time.  We actually got a bit of thunder with our rain this time too!  I like that!
The bad news is that I found the reason for my gaps in the black-eyed peas.  I've got insects of some sort eating the leaves.  I need to find some way to stop that.  I'm not opposed to chemical pesticides, but I would like to try a natural remedy first if possible. I've pinned some stuff on Pinterest so I'll do some work with that tomorrow.  I also subscribe to Mother Earth News magazine.  It is published in Kansas and I am all about supporting this great state if I can.  I saw some natural pesticides in there too, so tomorrow, the bugs will flee from my garden area.  They can live somewhere else.  If I find something that works, I will post about it and credit the source of information.

No comments:

Post a Comment