Saturday, April 7, 2012

Peas and Potatoes Anyone?

This was my post from April 7.  Apparently I forgot to publish it.

My peas are breaking ground.  The seeds were a few years old and given to me from family so I put them in to see what I could get.  I got 4 sprouts as of this morning out of 8 or 10 seeds, but they've barely broken ground.  It will be neat to see what comes of them.
I also wondered about my potatoes.  The boots and websites I found to learn how to plant them warn against supermarket potatoes and say only to use certified seed potatoes.  They also tell you to refrigerated and then pull them out and then cut and let eyes form.  Well I didn't do any of that.  I had some potatoes red and yellow and 1 sweet that had sat around too long and got a little soft.  The eyes were growing and it was close to planting time so I kept them in the bin.  I pulled them out and cut chunks with eyes and planted the day I cut them.  Later I realized I planted most upside down.  I was doubting I would get growth, but I found cracked ground at several sites and actual leaves coming up this morning.  I broke almost all of the potato rules and it looks like I at least have plants growing!
All I have yet to see is chili peppers, asparagus and herbs.  Not bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment