Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Love the Rain!

My garden has been loving the sun, but it also loves the rain!

It rained just over 1/2 inch last night and we checked our rain guage this morning.  Very pleased to say that it is supposed to rain on and off for the rest of the week.  I don't mind watering, but this kind of water is the best for the plants.




Here is a spinach plant surfacing.  They look different than I had imagined them, but I remember from last years plants this grass-like seedling.





My onions all in a row look pretty good.  The pics are kind of bad, but I'm happy with the true results.




Celery was our experiment.  When I chopped up my celery for eating, I saved the stump of it and cut the tops of it evenly.  I let it soak on the counter while I awaited my garden area to be made ready.  We had to borrow a rototiller.  Ours is a tiny one that we used for little garden boxes and we have a garden space this year.  As soon as the soil was tilled, I put this in at the end of the onion/potato row.  I just covered the bottom of the stump with dirt and left the top and the growth above ground.  The stump part is now withering and the new growth is looking pretty good!






Here are my black-eyed peas.  Coming up nicely in a row.  I think I will be thinning them as early as next week.  I will remove the string that guided my row in the next day or so.  I left the string there so that I could get a feel for where to look for sprouts.




This is my first year for lettuce and this is the Bibb variety.  I didn't know what to look for as they sprouted and my string was a great tool for me.  I now see many similar sprouts along my string.  We were a little careless with these seeds as they were so tiny!  It said to plant the seeds every 2 inches to start, but I had a hard time getting just 1 seed in each hole, so my sprouts are in clusters like this.  I can thin them later.  On the bottom of the picture you can see a weed with a different shade of green.  I will pull these when I thin the lettuce plants out.  I'm afraid to do it too soon and grab seeds and sprouts with the roots.

I plan to hoe between rows to keep the weeds down.  My husband thinks we should use the little rototiller between the rows, but I don't trust myself to go in a straight line.  We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment