Thursday, April 26, 2012

Insect update

I opted not to treat my garden for insects at this time.  The plants are growing stronger as they are.  The formulas for homemade insecticide all require a waiting period for the spray to become more potent I assume.  Garlic and onion blended up and put into water. Some times hot pepper.  I'm really not excited about putting that on my young plants yet, and there is a warning to test a few leaves first.
I've used a mixture of flour and cayenne before, but I was treating the wrong insect with that combination.  I had squash bugs then and I was able to get rid of them with a solution of original formula liquid dish soap and water squirted directly on those bugs.  It was amazing to see how quickly they keeled over and then it rained and I had soap bubbles in my garden and in my downspouts from the house gutter.  It was funny.  I'm going to prepare a onion garlic solution to have ready for when problems arise again.
Getting ready to put in the green beans, cucumbers and zucchini this weekend.  I might drop some tomatoes in next week too.
Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment