Saturday, March 24, 2012

2012 first planting day

I'm thrilled to get started on my garden.  I may be late according to some or early compared to others.  I guess that makes us just right.
We (I) wanted to keep the back yard for playing so I chose to put my garden in our North side yard.  After the tilling, I realize that space is much larger than I expected.  Our previous home only had a couple of small raised box garden beds due to lack of space. 
Today's task was to prepare the ground and plant potatoes and onions.  Since we had to let the first turning of the soil dry out a bit, the rotatilling didn't get done until after 5pm.  I planted 1 sweet potato plant and about a dozen potato plants.  I planted in a trench so there will be room to bury the stems as they get taller. 
In the same row I planted onions and green onions.  I put sticks on either end of where I wanted to plant and stretched a string between them to keep my row fairly straight.  I adapted my method from last year's research.  I used onion sets and planted them crowded together in a row.  1 shallow then 3 deep the 1 shallow and 3 deep and so on for my pattern.  The thought behind that is to have 3 green onions for every 1 large onion.  As I thin out the green onions, it will make room for the onions to grow.  The shallow that will grow are spaced about 5 inches apart.

The pic shows my first row just before watering.  At the near end is the celery that I have been growing on my counter from the base of a store-bought stalk.  Also I have a few green onions that I was growing from roots of a bunch that I had bought from the grocery store and eaten.  They were our kitchen window experiments.
That's all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment