Friday, May 18, 2012

Tomatoes, Come back!

Well 4 days ago, I transplanted tomatoes and they look pretty pathetic at this point.  I've been told that they go into shock, but I've never had this trouble before.  I've had tomato plants since I started gardening about 5 years ago and they've always transplanted well.  This time they are all droopy.  The stems are firm, so I haven't lost hope.  I've done a little research and found they have transplant shock.  OK, now what?
According to the bloggers, you are to pinch off some of the leaves so that the roots concentrate on growing.  That goes along with what I heard from some Master Gardeners last night.  I did that Tuesday.  Still today they're droopy.  According to these Master Gardeners, roots also need oxygen so they recommend spading the ground about 12 inches before transplanting.   Well, its too late for that for me, but I poked holes in the ground around the plants about 12 inches with an iron fence rod that is about 1/2 inch diameter.  I watered away from the plants and pretty much filled these holes so the water will saturate deeply.  I'm hoping that once the water soaks through the deeper soil that these holes will become air pockets.  One of my plants was a little perkier this morning, but I did the same for all.  We'll see how they all come out.
I'm also traveling for a week next week.  Last time I did this and left my dearly beloved husband in charge of my garden.  My seedlings were dead and my garden was wimpy when I returned.  I'm giving him instructions now to hopefully prevent that while I'm gone this time.  I might just put out a soaker hose and turn it on to a trickle for the duration of my absence.  That way the only thing left is my herb pots.  Surely if I move them inside, they'll be seen and taken care of... Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment